The Brik Brut models use a Shaft drive. Brikbikes is a firm believer in this system, because the advantages over the bicycle chain are great. Namely, the Shaft drive is reliable, strong and is low on maintenance.
Brikbikes develops the frames especially for the Shaft drive and this system can be combined with different gear hubs.
Advantages of a shaft drive
A shaft drive has several advantages over a chain drive:
- Maintenance: Very low maintenance due to internal lubrication and the semi-closed system.
- Safety: A very safe system due to no kick-through gears and no external moving parts.
- Hygiene: No oil, grease or dirt on your trousers while cycling and your chain cannot come off either.
- Energy transfer: 3 to 4% you don’t notice this while cycling, a normal bike has about 2% loss but this is with the perfect adjustment and when the chain is freshly lubricated.
- Practical: Changing a rear tyre is very practical by loosening a few screws and bolts and dismounting the wheel.
- Noiseless: A properly adjusted Shaft drive shaft is low-noise
Furthermore, the wheel is still removable and you can also choose different gear hubs for the shaft drive.
How does the shaft drive work?
A shaft drive consists of a bottom bracket, a drive shaft and four sprockets. When you pedal, the bottom bracket starts to rotate. The first sprocket is fixed on the bottom bracket. The first sprocket drives a sprocket that is fixed on the drive shaft. The drive shaft transfers the rotating motion to the rear, where the third sprocket spins the wheel.
Choose your Brikbike with shaftdrive
Brik Brut Ladies 8-speed€1,249.00
Brik Brut Men 8-speed€1,249.00
Brik Brut Men 3-speed€999.00
Brik Brut Ladies 3-speed€999.00
Curious how the shaft drive feels? Feel it yourself during a test drive!